Do you have gnawing or shooting pain caused by a toothache? It may be the result of an infection known as a tooth abscess. These can either be at the root of a tooth or between the gum and tooth. Our dental professionals here at Randal Brown want to help you get the proper dental care. Please come into the office if you are experiencing any of the following:
– Swollen neck glands, upper or lower jaw, gums (plus redness)
– Pain or sensitivity when chewing hot or cold food
– Fever, ill feeling, or general discomfort
– Loosened tooth
– Foul breath or bitter taste in mouth
– Sore on the gum draining liquid
The pain may go away if the root of the tooth has died, but this still means you may be prone to infection. It continues to spread and destroy tissues if untreated.
See your dentist if you experience these symptoms. Your dentist will inspect your teeth with a dental instrument, and with an abscessed tooth, you will experience some pain. Redness and swelling are another indication they will see. They may also ask you to bite down or close your mouth tightly to observe if you experience more pain. X-rays will be the last step of inspection to determine how much bone erosion there is around the abscess.
Different treatments to stop infection and preserve the tooth include:
– Draining the abscess (may be done through a root canal to remove diseased root tissue)
– Tooth may be extracted (to allow drainage through the socket)
– Draining through an incision of the swollen gum
– Placement of a crown after a root canal
Warm salt water rinses and over-the-counter medication may ease your pain until you see your dentist. Here in Strasburg, Pennsylvania, Randal Brown wants to help ease your discomfort. Give us a call at 717-687-9366 to schedule an appointment or consultation. Our team will give you the care and quality your smile requires.